Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 01:02:46 -0400
From:      "Patrick Seal" <patseal@hyperhost.net>
To:        "FBSDQ" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What Are Ups & Downs of Reselling Hosting?

> >We began reselling a few months ago because many of our clients
> either a) wanted a
> >one stop shopping experience b) thought less of us if we
> couldn't host c) wanted us
> >to do the research for each one of them.
>
> ****snip***
>
> Susan,
>
> I have avoided reselling for one reason only. If my clients were to do
> a "whois" to find my provider, they would find I am charging more than
> I am paying. How do you explain that to them? Or, have you not had
> that problem arise?  I have been just sending them to my ISP and they
> get billed directly from them. I realize as well as you that quality
> tech support is invaluable, but if your ISP advertises quality tech
> support as well, how do you compete?
>
> Joe

I recommend finding a Hosting provider that gives you a bulk discount (2+)
on (virtual) servers.  That way you can charge the same/less than your
provider.  You can even advertise that your are a VAR and "We pass the
savings on to you"

Also, try to get personal with your clients.  Give them a phone call every
once and a while and see if they need any help or just to have a simple
conversation.  Do something above the norm and make a better graphic for
their website, recommend a better alternative to Frontpage, point them to a
good search engine submitter.  I have gotten many more clients from
referrals than directly from my website.  (also complement how nice their
site looks <g>)

Patrick Seal
patseal@hyperhost.net

Hyperhost