Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 22:10:39 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>, <rshea@opendoor.co.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Re: upgrade from 4.0 to 4.3

Doug's experiences with ports certainly are *not* typical.

Is it possible that very poor connections could cause problems that
appear to be a broken port ?? Many of our phone lines in OZ are
dark age quality (eg 20 bytes / second download aren't uncommon),
so its often a matter of trying several times to download something
before its successful. I've been having better results lately by
grabbing
the source & either compiling it, or by putting it in
/usr/ports/distfiles
before running "make install". Thats got a few applications installed
that appeared broken in several attempts using regular ports setup.
(ie cd /usr/ports/whatever, then "make install")