Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:04:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@blinx.net>, Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Steven Ames wrote:

> public IP space. I might be off here but I think the real problem with
> two seperate networks on one card (or even on two cards) would be
> the default route (can't have two right?) and which IP address gets
> used as the 'source IP' on packets leaving the system.

I used to work in an organization where there were political reasons for
having multiple IP networks on one physical wire.  (Take a class B net and
poorly subnet it and then run it through a ringer of university politics
for 10 years....).

We started with boxes with multiple ips on different 'networks' on the
same physical wire so that clients on those networks would have to go out
to the router (router config out of my direct control -- just one 10B2
wire hanging out of a wall...) and back.

An even more ugly/elegant solution to multiple IP subnets on the same wire
is to use proxy-arp for routing.

Set your own IP (or your net interface, depending on the os) as your
default gateway and you think whole world is on the local lan.  The router
doing proxy arp sends it's mac address for arps for any boxes it knows are
not on your local network, otherwise, all the boxes find each other and
speak without talking to the router.  With decent arp caching you dont see
much extra traffic at all and it more than makes up for all the 'double'
in/out traffic we saw going to the router.  We had like 8 /24's all of
which were not adjacent or supernettable.  Backbone traffic dropped to
about 10% of 'normal' when we switched over most boxes.  Ugly, but it
works :).

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.