Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:37:25 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec/DPT SmartRAID V under FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE [was: Re: Mylex adapters with 2.x firmware and "couldn't map register window"]

At 12:34 AM -0700 2000/8/4, Mike Smith wrote:

>  The fix for this has been committed to -stable, and there's a kit for
>  4.1-RELEASE users wanting to install on these adapters at
>  http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/mylex/mlx2_patchkit.tar.gz

	Okay, with your notes, I have gotten a 4.1-STABLE kernel to build
and install with this driver, and I've plugged in a PM2654U2
controller into the machine, and connected it to the external
enclosure for the drives.

	However, while the DPT card appears to come up okay and recognize
the RAID-5 volume that was left over from the previous configuration,
I can't get it to load SMOR -- it comes up and says "Cards are not
configurable".

	Worse, whether or not I try to reconfigure the array, it gets to
the Dell PowerEdge 1300 prompt "Alert! Cover was previously removed",
and then the boot process hangs.

	I'm going to try going into the BIOS and configuring it so that
it does not consider the DPT card to be bootable, and if that doesn't
work I'll try hanging the internal hard drive off the DPT controller
instead of the built-in AIC-7890 controller chip.

	However, if anyone else has any insights into this problem, I'd
appreciate it.  Thanks!

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium