Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 10:03:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk
Cc:        itojun@iijlab.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (mgp-users 00027) graphic tablet experiecne ?

> > >does anyone have experience with graphic tablets -- particularly with
> > >cheap serial units ?
> > >i have tried one (a kid's model, "Wacky pad") and it seems not to talk
> > >any protocol recognized by moused.

ok, i managed to modify moused (was relatively simple) to talk to my
unit, which happens to be  made by "Genius" and has an apparently
documented protocol. The mods are at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/moused.diffs

and also include some additions to the moused code for better probing
PnP and older non-Pnp mice. They might go in the source tree at some
point.

> in moused). The only real way of using the pad as the mouse is with
> the X input extension. You can get the tablet to be the mouse for
> PS. Using absolute mode to move around the display is very strange
> but you get used to it!

you bet! in fact, moused only allows relative mouse motion events
which is a bit unconvenient. After 1/2 hour working with it i have the
following feelings:

 * using a pen is WAY more convenient than a mouse and buttons for
   menu selection etc. And for drawing there is absolutely no
   comparison.

 * i think a few buttons on the stylus would be extremely convenient to
   use. My unit has only one button (the tip) and one near the pad.
   I am mapping the tip as button 1, which is ok for most things,
   but double-click etc. are not very easy.
   Plus, when you put back the stylus, the cursor follows you...

 * In many occasions, i really miss the ability to map the whole
   tablet (or a fraction) within a window, so i don't have to
   "imagine" the boundaries of the working area while drawing.
   In order to do this, however, i do need two things:
     + absolute coordinates
     + feedback from the server on the window's geometry

Any idea on how to improve moused communication with its consumers
(the X server, or syscons) ?

	cheers
	luigi