Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:42:46 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        rick norman <rick.norman@lmco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: dummynet pipes

Hello rick,

rn> I'm running 4.3 so I don't know if that makes a difference, but
rn> there are somethings I don't understand about the commands. If
rn> the command 'ipfw add pipe 1 ip from ...' is executed, I get a
rn> rule 00100 number added with the pipe number requested according
rn> to 'ipfw list'. The command 'ipfw pipe 1 delete' then gives a
rn> setsockopt err.  'ipfw pipe flush' returns successfully but when I
rn> list the rules, nothing is gone. 'ipfw delete 100' deletes the
rn> rule and the pipe is no longer visible.  Apparently I don't
rn> understand how pipe numbers relate to rule numbers.  I've read
rn> what I could find, any help or reading reccomendations are
rn> appreciated. thanks

rn> Rick Norman

Consider something like this:

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 100kb/s
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 200kb/s
ipfw add 100 pipe 1 ip from any to any

A pipe gets connected to ip-packets via rules. In this case you may
need to remove the rule before you remove the pipe because of the
dependency between them.

1) ipfw pipe flush
2) ipfw flush
3) ipfw pipe flush

1) Pipe 1 still has a dependency. So you should be only able to remove
pipe 2, as this isn't connected to anything
2) This will remove all rules, thus removing the connections between
all pipes.
3) This will remove any remaining pipes. This could also be done at
2 if ipfw remembers you want to remove the pipes.

I didn't try this out, it just seem logical to me this way. I hope
this is any help.

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl