Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:39:15 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports/patches for X332servonly

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 11:05:27AM +0000, Donn Miller wrote:
>Just trying to find out if anyone did a port and/or patch for
>X332servonly.tgz.  It's like the full source for XFree86 but it doesn't
>include the stuff for building shared libs.  I need the source code so I
>can modify it to make a driver for my chipset, which is unsupported.
>
>BTW, building XFree86 from sratch is pretty nasty.  One minor change to
>any of the config files in xc/config/cf sometimes throws the whole build
>out of whack.

That surprises you?

>The shared/static libs build OK, but when it comes time to link all the
>object files and libs together to produce the X-server, massive amounts of
>errors about "undefined reference to ..." come pouring out like crazy.
>This is in the subdir xc/programs/Xserver/hw...
>
>I tried building it w/out changing any source at first, just to see if it
>would compile, and it won't compile.  So anyone successfully built the
>XFree86 servers from source on 3.0-R?

Patches are required for FreeBSD/ELF (FreeBSD wasn't ELF when 3.3.2 was
released).  You should be able to use the patches in FreeBSD's XFree86
port.  Just ignore any that might be for files not included in
X332servonly.tgz

Or you could wait for a week or so for XFree86 3.3.3 which will include
support for FreeBSD/ELF out of the box.

BTW, what chipset are you planning to add support for?

David