Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:23:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        chris@northernbrewer.com, jim@ohio.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: would this dump/restore scenario work?

>  Jim Arnold (jim@ohio.com) wrote:
>  > Here's my question: If I nuked the scsi drive, did a clean install of 4.3R from
>  > the CD with the partitioning scheme noted above, and then did a restore from
>  > the dump file, would that work?
>  >
>  > Would restore have a problem trying to lay the files back onto a system
>  > that is not partitioned as the same from whence it came?

and  Christopher Farley replied:

>  Fortunately, I've done a lot more dumping than restoring. However,
>  I believe you would run restore once for each new filesystem. Use restore
>  in interactive mode and select only those parts of the dirctory tree that
>  should be restored on the current filesystem.

that will work great as long as files are mounted. You can take advantage
of the fact that restore does not unlink a file before restoring, you can
create a symbolic link to place files where they belong. For example,
if we used to use keep user's files in /usr/home, and this directory is
in the /usr partition, but now we have a seperate mounted /home partition,
Create a symbolic link from /usr/home pointing to /home and restore
the /usr dump file to /usr and the files will get place into /home.
Most of the time the lack of unlinking is a disadvantage -- restoring
the /usr/lib directory and the symbolic link from libcrypt.so not being
change, etc. Also restore in single user to minimize modifying any running
programs.

Be sure to restore in interactive mode and SELECTIVE retore files
(/etc, /home, /var, /usr/local, /usr/X11R6 directories), and be wary
of restoring /usr/lib (and /var/log but only if you are jumping OS
versions).

--mark tinguely