Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:57:27 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        X Thinker <x_thinker_brz@yahoo.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Winmodem work well in the FreeBSD?

As far as I know, only Lucent and IBM mWave(tm) WinModems(tm) work on
FreeBSD. Both require added software.

Unless you have an older IBM ThinkPad, it's not likely that the mWave
is relevant, but if so, see /usr/ports/comms/mwavem. I'm still waiting
for a commit of my last update, so it will require a minor edit to the
Makefile to work.

There is also a driver for the Lucent WinModem(tm) available. Check
the archives, as I don't have a bookmark for it. There is an effort to
get the Lucent driver into the base system, but it's tricky because
the basic kernel module is distributed by Lucent only as a binary for
Linux and that has been "shimmed" to load with FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)