Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:45:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        positiveviolence@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .html problems

> we can transfer files to a freebsd server from XP.
>
> Everythime we try to upload index.html it goes from 850kb to 828kb
>
> and it always displays the same text index directory???
>
> is that o the XP side or free bsd side...

They probably treat trailing whitespace on lines differently.
That could account for some difference.  Also, if you used ftp to
transfer the file in ASCII mode, then it would have chopped off a CR
character from each line because UNIX uses just LF to terminate a line
whereas MessyDOS uses CR-LF to terminate a line.

Try looking at the file with a text editor such as vi.
First of all, did it get put in the correct directory for your
configuration?
If it looks like html, eg starts with <html> and ends with </html>
or other recognizable stuff, then it probably got transferred OK.

The next thing to check is is the ownership and permissions are OK.
The file should be readable by the web server (Apache probably)

Finally, you should look at the name of the file and what is configured
in the web server (httpd.conf).    Mostly, Apache's httpd.conf starts
out configured to recognize xxxx.html names files, but not xxxx.htm
or other variations including xxxx.HTML or xxxx.HTM which you often
get when moving a file from MustyDOS.    Remember that UNIX is case
sensitive.

If the case or .html vs .htm is the problem you can either just
rename the file on the FreeBSD system to a lower case only name
or go in to the httpd.conf file and add those variations to it.
I think I remember it is the
       DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.HTML etc etc etc
directive that does it.

Those are the first things I would check.   After that, well, I don't know.

> I see the new file on the BSD server, but the same crappy index of/ page
> keeps coming up...

That will happen when it doesn't see a readable file with one
of the acceptable names in the DirectoryIndex directive.

You can turn off indexing and then you would see an error message instead
of the directory listing.   To do that remove the work "Indexes" from
the Options directive that applies to your directory where the
web page lives.  Looks something like:

<Directory "/usr/local/www/data">
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny