Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:56:49 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mailbox locked

At 09:43 AM 4/1/98 +0800, Dean Hollister wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>We have a user who's mailbox has been locked somehow. I need to clear the
>>>lock but cannot locate a lock file anywhere. Where would I expect to find
>>>it?

>> A POP locked mailbox?  Check for a file /var/mail/${USERNAME}.pop.lock (or
>> .${USERNAME}.pop.lock).
>>
>> The campus Solaris POP server has this problem constantly.  They finally
>> created a script called 'unpop' that kills this file.
>
>Hmmmm.... Nothing like this is present...
>
>Elm, and Pine both report mailbox is read-only...

Not sure I can help you since you mention Elm/Pine but
I've suffered similar locked mailboxes when the
user's mail client chokes and crashes whilst
downloading/decoding a very large attachment or
many messages. I attribute the subsequent "mailbox
locked" errors to the socket connection not being
closed in an orderly manner.

In such circumstances, I've checked for lock files but
found none. Usual cure is to restart the POP server
and inetd but that rarely works... so I resort to the
usual cure-all : reboot. (obviously it would be nice
to not have to do this and disrupt all the other users
so I'm all ears for surefire ways of curing this : one
user in particular managed to lock his mail box very
frequently)

chas