Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:03:04 -0500
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        jdc@xinside.com
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo), robert@steffi.dgsys.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Accelerated-X Announcement: Approved announcement

I'd like to see a list of xstones with cards/OS/Xversion.  According to Matrox
their Millenium with 4 MB and 32 colors on a Pentium 90 Mhz gets about 800,000
xstones in 256 color mode (8bit) and 720,000 in 24 bit mode.  I'm planning
on upgrading my Sun sparc 2 with a GX card that gets like 80,000, I think.
I wonder what the new server would get with the same card on a 200 Mhz
Pentium pro, which I intend to get soon with 128 MB of memory and a 4 GB SCSI
III 7200 RPM, 8.5 ms average access time disk drive.  (I have 64 meg now).

I'd be interested in comparisons between different machines like the Sun
UltraSparc 1 and 2 with different cards and Silicon Graphics with the R10000
and their high end graphics cards and the Dec Alpha.

Also, I'd be interested in a comparison between the xstones of the same
card on different OS's for the Pentium Pro 200 Mhz with different OSes
like BSDI, Linux, SCO, Solaris x86, freebsd, netbsd, SGI's Unix, DEC's OSF
and Ultrix, IBM's AIX on the RS/6000 and intel platforms.

Jacob