Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:45:02 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reducing the size of the ports tree (brainstorm v2)

On 10/31/2014 11:56 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> tijl@ spotted an interesting point, distinfo and pkg-descr files files
> convenient are taking a lot of space for "free", we can reduce the size of the
> while ports tree by a factor 2 by simply merging them into one of the other
> files (Makefile and/or pkg-plist) from my testing it really devides
> significantly the size of the tree.

> Ideas I got so far only concerns pkg-descr:
> Adding an entry in the Makefile for the WWW:
> WWW= bla
> or an entry in the plist: @www http...

I really do like

DESCR=Some relatively short amount of text that describes the port \
       in more detail than COMMENT can do. This could be multiple \
       sentences and broken across lines.

We have multi-line entries all over the place with things like long
commands in pre- and post-install targets.  Since pkg-descr tends to be
a write-once file, I think it's a pretty tiny amount of pain for shaving
off that many files.  If you're really are worried about making
maintainers do non-natural line breaks for readability, add a "make
reflowdescr" target or add something to porttools that does it for us.

The reason I like having this stuff in the Makefile is that you can do
something like this:

# make -C /usr/ports/foo/bar -V DESCR

> Concerning the distinfo I have no idea.

Could we do something similar to dependency lists?  For example:

DISTINFO= example1.tbz:size:{SHA256}hash \
           example2.tar.gz:size:{SHA256}hash

In the simple case where DISTFILES is one generated filename:

DISTINFO= ${DISTFILES}:size:{SHA256}hash