Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:14:44 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE tape backup suggestions

Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com> wrote:

> Avoid the OnStream for the moment. I have a half dozen here and they will not
> work, believe me.  They are so cheap because they omit a lot of the hardware
> that generates tape blocks and block checksums and etc., so the computer
> (software) side has to generate that stuff as part of the actual data stream.
> Sort of like the old floppy-controller based tape drives.

     Well, if the media and drive electronics/mechanics are reliable,
the OnStream drives may not be all that bad.  I've seen the developer's
documentation, and it doesn't look really ugly.  Different -- yes.
Tedious -- yes.  Ugly/awful/nasty -- not really.

[ The task becomes even easier if you do what the Echo software appears
  to do -- ignore OnStream's ADR developer guidelines and use your own
  proprietary tape format.  ]

     My concerns about the current OnStream drives would be:

1. Is it reliable (software/driver issues aside)?  Will the drive be
   able to read a tape that's been sitting on a shelf for a couple of
   years?  Are there any tape head issues -- do you need to clean the
   tape heads (which is a possible concern, as the documentation has no
   mention of head/drive cleaning)?  What about dust in the drive?

2. Are the current drives the end of the line?  OnStream has announced a
   "Unix-compatible" drive, although it is a bit expensive.  Now, if
   OnStream produces only "Unix-compatible" drives, then the current
   product offerings become something like orphans.  There's less
   incentive to develop and maintain drivers for such drives, not to
   mention possible problems if your current drive dies and you somehow
   need to find a replacement one.  However, FreeBSD used to support the
   old floppy tape drives, and so there is a precedent.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.