Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:37:36 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confused with jails (ezjail) and mergemaster

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion here, but I just am not getting it ...

I have just built and installed world on a 6.1-STABLE i386 machine and
run mergemaster.  For the jails, I have run:

	root# ezjail-admin update -i

and it performed an installworld.  Cool so far.

What about mergemaster on the jails?  Do I need to run mergemaster on
the basejail and each jail instance?

	root# mergemaster -D /usr/jails/basejail
	root# mergemaster -D /usr/jails/jail-01
	root# mergemaster -D /usr/jails/jail-99

Or just mergemaster on basejail?  If I do just run mergemaster on
basejail, how do the config file changes make it into the individual
jails?  Ezjail is a great utility but running mergemaster on every jail
instance seems daunting, not to mention the potential problems with
end-user modified config files.

Many thanks for clarification, pointers, slaps upside the head, etc.

--
Regards,
Doug