Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:58:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1-RELEASE-i386 man broken?

--------------enig5720DA9F58C692765AA43AF5

David Christensen wrote:
> hello, world!
>=20
> I'm a FreeBSD newbie who has installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-i386 using
> the "developer with X" option.  "man" doesn't seem to work:
>=20
>     2006-07-12 21:59:38 root@k62350 ~
>     # man man
>     No manual entry for man
>=20
>     2006-07-12 22:12:42 root@k62350 ~
>     # echo $MANPATH
>     :/root/local/man
>=20
>=20
> The same goes for makewhatis:
>=20
>     2006-07-12 22:12:47 root@k62350 ~
>     # makewhatis
>     makewhatis: : No such file or directory
>     makewhatis: /root/local/man: No such file or directory
>=20
>=20
> Any suggestions?

What are the contents of /etc/manpath.config ?  The entries in there on a=

newly installed system will give the man(1) command access to all of the
man pages installed in the usual locations (/usr/share/man, /usr/local/ma=
n,
/usr/X11R6/man) If you've got perl installed there will be a couple of ex=
tra
'OPTIONAL_MANPATH' entries specially for that.  You can see the ultimate
result by running the 'manpath' command.

The environment variable MANPATH should in general not be set, as that wi=
ll
override the effects of /etc/manpath.config.  See the manpath(1) man page=

for more information.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK