Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 12:18:18 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        R <tlhingan@optonline.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 57% packet loss

R <tlhingan@optonline.net> wrote:

>hello all
>
>ok, first things first: I'm new, but not dumb :) Now that thats out of =
the
>way...
>
>I'm running 3.2-STABLE.  I'm trying to configure my box to get on the =
net.
>I have a cable modem - not from "@home" - and a nic (xl0) which conects =
>it.
>
>I've been trying to do a few things at the same time, which has gotten =
me
>quite mixed up, since im learning from scratch each of the things im =
trying
>:)
>
>So, I'm gonna break my questions into the mailing list into VERY small
>pieces - the first of which is:
>
>What sort of things should i look for when trying to determine why I'm
>getting a 57% packet loss pinging hub.freebsd.org?
>
>I'm obviously getting online - so i guess my set-up isn't far off the =
mark -
>but i seem to drop/loose every other packet. for example, packets 0 and =
1
>get lost, but #2 malkes it. then #3 gets lost and 4 makes it.

Shudder..  Had the same trouble myself recently.  The cable modem I use
has a diagnostic web server built in.  If yours is similar you can
probably ping its IP and if you get no packet loss there then it's
likely that the problem is beyond your control.  Hopefully your ISP
will fix it within a week or two if you complain enough.

John.