Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 09:13:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

As John Fieber wrote:

> It has nothing to do with typing ability.  It has everything to
> do with the basic fact that humans are far better at
> recognition than recall.  Recall may be more efficient, but only
> comes after a great time investment in memorization.  For
> infrequent users, or infrequent tasks, recall will never be as
> efficient as recognition.

The problem arises, however, that even for frequent users of such a
recognition-based system, the efficiency cannot grow beyond a certain
point.

When looking at the icon and toolbar etc. forest of the typical
application of these days, i still believe it's rather done for optics
than to improve recognition.  I usually get the impression that even
the infrequent winloose user has about the same idea about the
particular meaning of these 25 icons in the toolbar as me, who does
not know anything about these programs at all.

--
cheers, J"org