Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:34:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        pwac@flinet.com (Jeremy Bair)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha CDR-100

As Jeremy Bair wrote:

> I am running 2.2.2-RELEASE on a Zenith Z-Station GT (P120, 32 megs of
> ram). I have an Adaptec 2940-U controller installed that has a Procom 4
> gig (Fujitsu drive) and a Smart and Friendly 4x4 writer.
                                               ^^^
You mean, four wheels are driven? :-)

> My CDR makes the kernel give some strange errors, check out a dump:

> ahc0:A:4: refuses synchronous negotiation. Using asynchronous transfers
> (ahc0:4:0): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk0(ahc0:4:0): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:1): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk1(ahc0:4:1): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:2): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk2(ahc0:4:2): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:3): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk3(ahc0:4:3): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:4): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk4(ahc0:4:4): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:5): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk5(ahc0:4:5): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:6): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk6(ahc0:4:6): Unknown
> (ahc0:4:7): "YAMAHA CDR100 1.11" type 4 removable SCSI 2
> uk7(ahc0:4:7): Unknown

This proves two things:

. You have no worm driver in your kernel; type 4 is `WORM', but no
  type driver is assigned, so it falls back to uk (unknown device).

. The drive is broken by design, it responds to all LUNs.  For a
  1997 vintage device, i consider this heavily broken.  I would
  consider returning it to the vendor, for not being a SCSI device.

Even if you configure the worm driver into the kernel, you can't do
very much with it.  Unless you bug Yamaha to release you the SCSI
specs, you can only make guesswork.  I happily accept your patches to
the worm driver to make this burner work with FreeBSD, if this is your
desire.  You can use Linux's cdwrite or the freely available cdrecord
program as a starting point.  Anyway, i have seen the usual 50-page
SCSI specs for CD burners, with all the hairy details in them, and
since decided that it's a useless job trying to make any burner work
without specs.  Even if it works initially, as soon as somebody adds
support for the various oddball CD formats to the worm driver, you
lose again without specs.

The Yamaha CDR100 was my original intention to be used when i made the
worm driver work back in 1995/1996.  Yamaha made a terrible hickup
about the procedure to get me their specs, which made me recommending
my boss to not buy a Yamaha.  I can only give this recommendation to
anybody else: insist on getting the specs, or refuse to buy.  There's
more than one good and cheap CD burner on the market these days.
Guess why the HP drives were so successful?  They released the specs
(very untypical for HP).

--
cheers, J"org