Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 05:55:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What string to filter FreeBSD lists?

David Nugent writes:
 > Yep, I've found that ^From is the most reliable method of filtering
 > with procmail, but it assumes that this line is preserved right into
 > the mailbox (ie. the envelope arrives intact). This works with the
 > bulk of mailing list software, and even allows cleanly distinguishing
 > between private replies and replies to the list.

there's better.  if you control your delivering sendmail, use
sendmail's 'user+mailbox@host' mailbox support in conjunction with

  FEATURE(local_procmail)

in your sendmail.mc to enable procmail as your local mailer.  procmail
is passed the mailbox name after the + sign as an argument.  you can
use this information in your .procmailrc.  then subscribe to your
lists with different mailbox names in your email address.  it's been
absolutely reliable, except for the people who snarf the wrong address
off a mailing list to send out personal party invites. :)

  --jh

--
John Hood				cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us

Predictably, they all eventually wandered away, rubbing their bruises
and brushing mud out of their hair.  Some went off to work for the
ESA, launching much smaller rockets into low orbits, while others
elected to sit on their front porches drinking Jim Beam from the
bottle and launching bottle rockets from the empties. [Jordan Hubbard]