Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:45:42 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Alan Lundin <aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

Alan Lundin <aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us> replied:
>On Jul 11, 11:43am, "Richard Wackerbarth" wrote:
[...]
>> Why not get both effects. Have two config files, for example,
>> /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf.
[...]
>Why not just source ld.so.conf if it exists then you
>can have either behavior depending on what is in ld.so.conf:
[...]
>and ld.so.conf can contain something like
>
>  ${_LDC}="${_LDC} /my/new/lib/dir"
>
>for append behavior or
>
>  ${_LDC}="/usr/X11R6/lib /my/new/lib/dir /usr/local/lib"
>
>for override behavior.

I don't think that your format gives them the flexability
that they wished to make it easy to have things automatically
install and deinstall. For the "manually edited" situation,
I would agree that it is a bit cleaner. However, it was by
inpression that they wanted to make it easy to automate
changes when packages come and go.