Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 97 10:01 MET DST
From:      Yanestra@t-online.de (Yanestra)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with X-Server SVGA

Dear people from freebsd.org,

I have switched from Linux (Debian distribution) to FreeBSD 2.2.2.  In the
efforts of switching to FreeBSD, I first tried to download all the necessary
files from an ftp server and put them on floppy disk.  When I was finished,
fourteen hours after I had started, I had to discover that the installation
program on the first disk was unable to read my floppies.  It seems that nowhere
is any comment on how the disks have to look like, neither does the installation
program say anything about this.  It simply terminates its attempts to read any
media after one try!  I think this behaviour and the whole situation is quite
annoying.  Now I have bought a copy of FreeBSD on a Walnut Creek CD-ROM, and I
have no problems with this media.

But I would like to consult you on another problem.  I have an old ISA Cirrus
Logic graphics card (542x, the last number always differs, depending on who you
ask), and I have used it long time with the Linux XF86_SVGA server without any
problems.  Now I went to setup the X server on my new FreeBSD installation, by
starting XF86Setup.  It worked well, as usual.  But when I type "startx" I get
the usual bunch of messages, and the last one says, "clgd5420: invalid chipset".
Can you tell me the reason for this?  I have no idea, and since the source code
(in the modified form) is not available, I can't even guess.

Thank you (& excuse my crippled Inglitch, my mother language is German)
& Good bye
Yours,
       Klaus-J. Wolf