Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:45:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.kern.mk src/sys/alpha/conf Makefile.alpha

I've moved this to -arch; while it's generally relevant, it's not
really suited for discussion on the CVS lists...

> > > bus/				# Bus-specific code
> > > 	eisa/
> > > 		dev/		# Devices for this bus
> > > 			<types>	# Type specifiers for drivers
> >
> > This isn't even learning from our current mistakes.  (cf. everything in
> > sys/pci that frontends for stuff in sys/i386/isa)
>
> This was intended for the front end stuff and drivers that are by
> nature tied to a specific bus.  Usually, the parts here should just
> set up any magic bus-spaces or similar, and call things in /dev/.

Ok; I think the 'dev' entry there threw us off.

> > > This is just a very quick attempt at a hierarchially based layout; I'm
> > > sure there are lots of possible improvements.
> >
> > The current drive is to tear the kernel into modules wherever possible;
> > ultimately the kernel core will remain, and everything else will be
> > modules.  So:
> >
> > boot				as current /sys/boot
> > compile
> > 	i386			not convinced of the requirement for
> > 		...		arch subdirs here.
> > 	alpha
> > 	modules
>
> Not convinced of the requirement for sys/compile.  For a fully
> functional build system, architecture is only one of the relevant
> axes, the others being the options used.

Sure; I tend to think that the only meaningful, manageable uniqifer is
the kernel ident anyway, so just "a scratch area" would suit me.

> Apart from that, I have no problem with your suggested layout except
> that it lack detail in a number of areas.

I figured you'd already gone into more than enough detail; I only
wanted to make the point that if we're cutting things up, we should
look more than a few inches ahead.

> > > Not a clue.
> >
> > Almost impossible, unless you can sell them on losing the CVS history.
>
> We'd use repository copies, of course.

That doesn't make it particularly easy to watch changes across the repo
copy...

> If we are going to do a rearrangement, we should do it just before we
> create a new release tag.  (I was thinking that with 3.0 released
> right now was the worst time possible, and was going to attempt to
> squash the discussion, but it really is the best - RELENG_2_2 is on
> end-of-life, and RELENG_3_0 isn't put down yet).

It's certainly less painful to do it at a pinch point, where there's
only one branch to bend.