Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 23:20:39 -0400
From:      grafe@lab12.ie.pitt.edu (Gary Rafe)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: How to get clean mic audio on a Toshiba 220CDS?

Can some knowledgable reader comment on the functionality
of the Yamaha-based sound system found on some Toshiba notebooks,
e.g., the 220CDS.

My 220CDS presently runs 2.2.6-RELEASE, and plays audio through
/dev/audio & /dev/dsp reasonably, although the gain is rather low
compared to the system "beep" played through the speakers.

However, I haven't been able to "record" clean audio from either
an internal or external microphone.
For example, the "speak_freely" suite compiles directly
and connections from other hosts (e.g., Sun, SGI) play here fine
through "sfspeaker" on the Toshiba.  "sfmike", on the other hand,
appears to transmit plenty of noise along with the audio signal,
which can just be discerned under the hash.

Has anyone experimented with this, and perhaps found a solution?

Cheers -- Gary