Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 07:34:08 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-audit <FreeBSD-audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: that patch for mktemp?

On 2000-May-01 14:06:00 +1000, Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
>In message <XFMail.20000430235830.mheffner@mailandnews.com> Mike Heffner writes:
>: Hrm, I suppose we might also want to get rid of '~' then.
>
>~ isn't too special to shells, so unless it is at the start of a
>filename, you shouldn't have a problem.
>
>That said, all of the following are special metacharacters to shells:
>	!$^&*(){}[]?~`"';<>|\

When I suggested "!@#%^&-_=+:,.~" as the set of characters, I (obviously)
didn't think closely enough about the impact of shells.  Going through:
! - magic to *csh anywhere inside a word - drop it
^ - Obsolete synonym for `|' (which I used to know, but forgot until
    Warner reminded me).  As someone has pointed out, it isn't magic
    to our sh(1) (or to csh, bash, zsh).  Therefore I think it can stay.
& - magic to all shells anywhere inside a word - drop it
~ - magic to most shells (except sh(1)), but only at the start of a word,
    therefore I think it can stay.

I'd therefore suggest that padchar be initialised to:
"0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz@#%^-_=+:,.~";

I think that's the set of printable USASCII-7 characters that can be
safely used as a filename inside a word, without upsetting any modern
shells.

base64 and padchar should also probably both be `const'.

Peter