Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 04:04:32 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   A proposal : IFS

I've had a modification to FFS called IFS (inode filesystem) in the works
for a while, and I think its time for people to look at it. In a nutshell,
it removes the directory namespace from FFS and presents a flat inode
numbered namespace to applications. It was originally written for
squid and inn type applications, but a few people have suggested other
applications such as CODA/AFS stores/caches, and temp filesystems.

The latest coderun is about 3 weeks old, and I haven't had time lately to
keep it up to date with -current. However right now I'm after some
comments.

The only things this code is lacking is support for NFS cookies, and
softupdates. I don't think either are very important right now, but
if someone wants to prove me wrong, go ahead. :-)

The code is located at :
http://www.freebsd.org/~adrian/ifs/

Enjoy :)

Adrian