Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:22:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to read a file from a device driver?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net> [000317 21:22] wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
> > > I'm trying to initialize a network device, and I'm trying to download
> > > code *into* my device from some binary system files.  There is no
> > > "user space" or user process, for that matter, to deal with at this
> > > point. I just want to (at this step) open a file(s) directly from my
> > > device driver, read the file(s), and download the relevant parts to my
> > > device.
> >
> > There isn't really any clean way of doing this so most drivers that need
> > to load firmware usually compile them in.  :/
>
> Now that I think about it, with FreeBSD's ability to dynamically load
> and unload modules it would seem like using anything else would be
> pretty annoying unless there's something else we don't understand here.

I think if you combine the ability to load arbitrary chunks of data (from
within bootloader) as modules, with similar auto-loading as in the vfs
case, you'll have a good solution.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------