Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 01:36:00 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   named entry for a private net

I'd appreciate criticism of my `named` config that does not yet work. Thanks !
- It is for a FreeBSD-3.4 based internal host.
- My unregistered ethernet domain lives behind a firewall with a single
  registered IP address on an ISDN interface to the internet (dial up).
- The host with isdnd & ipfw is working OK to the world, & I don't want to
  touch that, (to avoid packets keeping the phone line open).
- What I hope to do is run a 2nd named on an internal host to satisfy local
  ethernet requirements, EG: NCD X terminal boots, diskless boot,
  sendmail between local hosts etc.
- Named must act as master for the internal *.jhs.ether/24,
  & ideally maybe also refer non- *.jhs.ether names to gateway host.
Thanks for any ideas/criticism/examples  !

/etc/namedb/named.conf::
   options {
   	directory "/etc/namedb";
   	};
   zone "jhs.ether" {
   	type master;
   	file "DB.jhs.ether";
   };
   zone "57.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
   	type master;
   	file "DB.jhs.reverse";
   };

/etc/namedb/internal/DB.jhs.ether::
   jhs.ether IN	SOA	intern.jhs.ether. root.jhs.ether.  (
   				2000080600	; Serial
   				3600	; Refresh
   				900	; Retry
   				3600000	; Expire
   				3600 )	; Minimum
   	IN	NS	ns
   	IN	NS	ns1
   ns	IN	A	192.168.57.24
   ns1	IN	A	192.168.57.31
   	IN	MX	50	intern.jhs.ether.
   	IN	MX	100	gateway.jhs.ether.
   intern	IN	A	192.168.57.24
   gateway	IN	A	192.168.57.31

/etc/namedb/DB.jhs.reverse::
   @	IN	SOA	intern.jhs.ether. root.jhs.ether.  (
   				2000080600	; Serial
   				3600	; Refresh
   				900	; Retry
   				3600000	; Expire
   				3600 )	; Minimum
   	IN	NS	ns.jhs.ether.
   	IN	NS	ns1.jhs.ether.
   24	IN	PTR	intern.jhs.ether.
   31	IN	PTR	gateway.jhs.ether.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
Munich Unix Consultant.		Free BSD Unix with 3600 packages & sources.