Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 10:22:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd_mail@yahoo.com, Tomi.Vainio@Sun.COM, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Nokia C110 WLAN

On 08-Jul-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <200107080023.f680NJN00575@mass.dis.org> Mike Smith writes:
>: The issue here is the MAC; from reading the above, I gather Nokia have
>: their own MAC/firmware interface, which is not the standard PRISM one.
>
> Why do people have to do such stupid things as have been done with the
> various 802.11b cards....

Because they see a market opportunity? Nokia bought a company in
Cambridge, UK a while ago that has been developing an 802.11 MAC and
firmware since the early 1990's. At that time (and to be honest, even
now) there are only one or two 802.11b RF solutions available with
the lion's share of the market going to Intersil and Philips (as used
in the newer Orinico cards).

This is why people like TI and Atmel have developed their own MACs
that can work with Prism II radios.

Think of how many vendors of Ethernet MACs there are. NE2000 clone or
a DEC Tuplip clone?

> Warner

Duncan

---