Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:54:39 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org, Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: watching DVDs with videolan

Scott Long wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:46:14PM -0800, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I saw messages that videolan "works greatly" under FreeBSD and would be
> > grateful for help with it! I watch DVDs with it. It works but it is damn
> > slow: I see movement in separate frames, and the funny thing is that CPU
> > is not 100% busy! Renicing up to -20 makes situation a bit better but not
> > much. I have 850 MHz PIII on my laptop, so I think Are there any options
> > which I should set in order to make it work?
>
> I assume that you are using an ATAPI DVD drive.  Make sure that the
> sysctl hw.ata.ata_dma is set to '1'. Also make sure that the output
> plugin is using XVideo.

If his CPU isn't 100% busy he's using XVideo.

> > BTW, is vlc the best choice for watching DVD or there are better ones?
>
> vlc is known to be a bit slow.  ogle is pretty good in terms of speed,
> and it supports menus, though it's UI is not as nice as vlc.  xine
> apparently supports menus also, but it does not play encrypted DVD's
> out-of-the-box.

I have to recommend Ogle myself.  It's the only thing that plays DVD
acceptably on my PII-400, and it supports menus.  Xine gives me nothing
but grief and vlc is just slow.   I consider Olge the first truely
usable
DVD player for FreeBSD.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer