Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:13:07 +0800
From:      "Kevin Anderson" <watieri@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problem - Hardware Detection

Hi, I hope that this will be enough information:

Background:

I purchased a book called "FreeBSD Unleased" yesterday and used the CD that came with it to begin installing FreeBSD 4.4.

Steps Taken:

I chose to install FreeBSD 4.4 using by creating the 2 boot floppies on a seperate Windows98 box from the CD that came with the book.  I used the boot.flp for the first disk and mfsroot.flp for the second floppy.

Next, I booted my Dell OptiPlex GMT 5166 (a P2 166MHz with 96MB RAM) from the floppies I created and put the FreeBSD 4.4 CD in the CD ROM.  The Dell computer has 2 IDE hard drives on the same IDE channel and the CD ROM is the only device on the second IDE channel.  This Dell already has RedHat Linux 6.0 installed on it, but I would rather start the whole system over with FreeBSD 4.4.

After getting through both boot floppies decompressing, I selected the visual option to make some changes to the kernel configuration.  I disabled all of the conflicting devices (all of which were under networking) and disabled the SCSI device drivers under Storage (I have no SCSI devices.)

Problem:

Finally, when I am satisfied with the modifications, I move on to the next step in the installation, which is the hardware detection.  The process always hangs right after the line that displays "plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0" which is followed by a carriage return, a line feed, then a grey-solid-block character.

I read and reread the Installation Guide from FreeBSD.org and noticed that the next line I should expect to see in the hardware detection would be one related to the first hard drive on the first ide channel.

Both hard drives are 1.2GB Western Digital Caviar.  I have never had a problem with them and RH Linux 6.0 boots up just fine.

Pleading:

I am confused and don't know which step to take next to install FreeBSD 4.4.  Please help!

Thank you kindly for reading all of that.

Best Regards,

Kevin Anderson
Newbie