Date:      15 Apr 2001 01:46:56 -0700
From:      scott@sawilson.org
To:        michael@tenzo.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer madness...

On Sat, 14 April 2001, "Michael O'Henly" wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm trying to set up printing with FreeBSD 4.2 and an HP LaserJet 4050
> connected to the parallel port. I've been
> following the procedure in the
--snip--

Hey there,

    I recently set up an oki6e the way I always set up a printer. I used /usr/ports/printing/apsfilter. For some reason, the make install kept failing with weird problems, so I ended doing a make clean and building some of the dependant packages first. I ended up having to:

first build libxml2 before I could build freetype2,
then building freetype2,
then ImageMagick,
then ghostscript6,
then apsfilter.

After doing that, I ran /usr/local/apsfilter/SETUP and answered the questions. Read the notes and make sure their isn't any weirdness associated with your printer. My oki6e suffers from a lack of memory when run in pcl mode, so I have to run 300x300 resolution unless I want half of my page printed on one sheet, and the other half on a second one. Make sure you remember the name of the queue you make for the printer. I named mine oki6e. Then run lpd as root. edit your /etc/rc.conf so lpd starts each time you reboot.
You can snake the default line for lpd from /etc/defaults/rc.conf. A lot of people edit that file, but it's better IMHO to just add your changes to the defaults to the /etc/rc.conf like you are supposed too. :)

From then on, you can send things to your queu with the -P option using lpr. So in my netscape, I have lpr -P oki6e as my Print Command, and the same thing in staroffice. Works like a charm. apsfilter keeps getting better each time I install it. Many thanks to those who make it.

Best Regards,

Scott Alan Wilson
http://sawilson.org