Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:18:04 +0200
From:      Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software in /usr/contrib

> I believe when he says "in a strong evolution", he actually means
> "undergoing active developement".

Yes, of course!  It is exactly what I wanted to say.  My English
skills are not as good as they should be.  All that software is
in a very active development with too frequently changes.  And it
can be a problem for FreeBSD as it is now for Solaris.

> The problem he appears to be trying to solve is that these things
> tend to change very quickly, without any FreeBSD control over
> their size, shape, or direction.

Exactly!  That is the problem.  An additional problem with all those
things that change very quickly is that, sometimes, there are not
only stable and development releases, but also some different branches.
I need a modified Tcl/Tk (OTcl from MIT) to build the ISI/Berkeley
Network Simulator.  Same happens with all the video-conference at MICE
project.  That software requires another modified release of that
software.  It should be nice to provide a release of that software
under active development as a part of FreeBSD.  But, IMHO, it should
not be in /usr/bin.  There is not a problem hard-coding the path to
those programs in scripts and binaries when required, but users should
have a chance to install their own customized versions of that software,
or even another release (either more recent or more ancient) if they
need it.

> This was the initial justification for the removal of Perl in the
> based system, and the seed of the ongoing dicussion entitled
> "Removing perl in make world".

I am new to the *BSD world (I come from the Solaris, HP-UX and IRIX
world).  I did not know that discussion about Perl.

By the way, I have checked that my fresh installation of FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE
includes Perl (an old Perl, not the latest stable release) in /usr/bin.
What was wrong with my installation?  I have not added it from the ports.
And I use /usr/local (in the BSD flavors of Unix) to install all the
optional software.

> Igor is saying that there are other tools which are obtained from
> thir parties which should also atl least be moved to "controib",
> if not banished from the system to a port/package.

Well... "banish" a tool to a port seems dangerous!  Moving Perl (that is
included with 4.6-RELEASE), bzip2, gzip, and other tools to /usr/contrib/bin
seems reasonable.  In any case, it is possible to provide a link to those
binaries in /usr/bin.  Some tools (and compression tools are good examples)
can be useful for the operating system (ports probably require those tools).
And it is possible to write administrative scripts in Perl (Solaris has some
of those scripts now), that can be *required* for the operating system to run.

There is nothing wrong in that approach, but users should have a chance
to install their own tools.  Other software (Info-ZIP) supports a lot
of extensions not provided either because there are of no use for most
users (like the ability to manage OpenVMS versions ";x" in files) or
because there are some license restrictions on the algorithms.  But some
users need those fully functional [un]zip releases too.

> For some tools, this makes sense.  For other tools, this is very
> dangerous... and here's why:
>
> FreeBSD has been steadily giving away control of base system
> components to third parties.  Any time it takes a BSD verion
> of a program, such as "tar", and replaces it with a GNU or
> other vendor's equivalent, even if it's done for good reason,
> then it sets up a situation like the one Igor is concerned
> about.
>
> I think that he's right for some tools; they simply don't belong
> in the base system (e.g. "bzip2" is not in specified by POSIX or
> the Sinugle UNIX Specification).  But for other things, where
> there is not a BSD equivalent, or where the BSD equivalent has
> been intentionally abandoned, it doesn't make sense.

Agreed!  I *never* wanted, we say, Gnu tar moved to /usr/contrib
even if it is maintained by third parties.  It is very dangerous
to move something like tar or cc out of /usr/bin even providing
a link to those binaries.

I was speaking only about changing some software that other Unix
vendors are providing in /usr/contrib to that place.  Both, BSDi
(now Wind River) and Hewlett-Packard (now Compaq) have the same
set of packages in (/usr/contrib), with very small differences:
bzip2, gzip, Perl, Tcl/Tk, Expect or (why not?) nmh.

But I was not speaking about moving Gnu tar or gcc (I think that
at least gcc will be very difficult to replace with a native
BSD C compiler!).  Those programs are a part of any Unix
distribution.

> I don't claim to have a litmus test that would let you pick in
> every case; if this idea goes forward, it should be with caution.

I agree with you, Terry.  All changes should be adopted with caution.
But we have a reference to follow in the BSD/OS and HP-UX operating
systems.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.  You have explained some very
important points, like what software can (and cannot) be moved,
and what was the idea behind that proposal.

Cheers,
Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado, UK34436 - sobrado@acm.org