Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:39:35 -0800
From:      Jason Spence <jspence@lightconsulting.com>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installer can't handle multiple domain names from DHCP

I'm not on the list, please CC me on any replies.

I'm installing FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE on a machine to test my vinum
procedures before I write them up.  I noticed that the installer seems
to have a problem with the domain names my DHCP server is handing out,
which are of the form

option domain-name "first.domain second.domain";

in dhcpd.conf syntax.  The installer hands the text `second.domain"'
up to the installer's user interface and that string gets installed in
/etc/rc.conf as the hostname, causing the machine to fail to boot.
The reason why is the extra double quote is itself quoted by double
quotes somewhere on it's trip to rc.conf, resulting in a config line
like so in /etc/rc.conf:

hostname="second.domain""

That has an odd number of double quotes, so /bin/sh refuses to parse
it, causing the system to drop to single-user.

--
 - Jason                             Currently at: Home (Fremont, CA) (Cloudy)

Hail to the sun god
He sure is a fun god
Ra!  Ra!  Ra!