Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird problem with ipfw (possibly natd/libalias, but I doubt it)

Appropriate redirection strongly encouraged; please keep my address
on recipient headers, as I'm not currently subscribed to -ipfw@.

As is my custom on alternate Sundays, I updated an internal server and
our firewall to today's -STABLE.  (I track -STABLE daily on my laptop,
so I have some idea what I'm getting into.)  For the first time since I
started this schedule -- over a year ago -- I needed to fall back to
-STABLE from 15 Sep. (only on the firewall, though).

What happened is that a specialized application that my spouse uses --
and has been using without incident for several months -- failed its
(internal) authentication when she tried to connect when the firewall
was running today's -STABLE.  I rebooted the firewall from the alternate
boot slice (as fallback), and now it works.

I have a packet capture of each of a working and failing session.  Of
course, some of the differences are because of different timestamps, and
the protocol is proprietary (and coyright by the service she's using).

I have a single static IP address (residential Pac*Bell DSL, from back
when static IP addresses were what they assigned).  I generally allow
traffic that is initiated from within; for TCP traffic, I use the
"established" flag, and for UDP traffic, I use dynamic rules.  The
traffic in question appears to all be TCP.

I set up each of the machines in question with 3 slices:

* 1 has a / and /usr
* 2 has a / and /usr
* 3 has /var

In this case, I had been running off of slice 2, so I used
newfs/dump/restore to copy ad0s2{a,e} to ad0s1{a,e} (respectively), then
changed /etc/fstab on ad0s1a so that / was ad0s1a and /usr was ad0s1e.
I then rebooted the box and verified that things were generally (still)
working.  I then mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj from my build machine
and did the

* make installkernel
* make installworld
* mergemaster
* reboot

(after having done the full upgrade on the build machine, followed by a
"make buildkernel" for each machine's kernel).

This is the process I've been using for these machines for over a year
(and I've done similar things before that).  No problems were
encountered during the process for either machine, and all other
applications of which I know worked just fine -- including Web browsing,
IRC, mail (I run my own SMTP server), DNS...

Note, in particular, that the ipfw rules were copied, and that no
changes were made to them (or to the natd configuration, for that
matter).

And I thought we were in code freeze....  :-{

Suggestions for identifying the nature of the problem would be
heartily welcomed, though my ability to actually test the effects
of the changes will be reduced, as I'm unwilling to lose domestic
tranquility by causing unnecessary disruption.

Thanks,
david
To paraphrase David Hilbert, there can be no conflicts between the
discipline of systems administration and Microsoft, since they have
nothing in common.