Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 11:54:56 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@apple.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A modest proposal for better errno values...

BEEP BEEP This thread is moving to -chat BEEP BEEP This thread is moving to
-chat BEEP BEEP

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:57:13AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> Now, before I start here, let me just acknowledge up-front that what
> I'm about to raise is prime bike-shed material of the first order.  It
<snip>

Well, the guys on the sidelines thought it was funny. From NTK
(http://www.ntk.net - tagline "THEY STOLE OUR REVOLUTION. NOW WE'RE STEALING
IT BACK." which should be the FreeBSD tagline whenever Linux guys are in the
room. We should carry munitions too to deal with ESR) is the following.  I
should point out the "similar tizzy" they refer to at the top is about the
Mozilla/Firebird fiasco which is the previous item in their little
e-pamphlet.

<start quote>

         Readers with long memories may recall Carl Sagan getting
         into a similar tizzy about an internal Apple project that
         shared his name - until he threatened to sue. Apple's coders
         renamed the project's title to "Butthead Astronomer", which
         strangely failed to mollify him. Perhaps that explains some
         of the background of the next naming war: Apple asking the
         FreeBSD hackers to change the #definition of one of their
         error codes. Apparently, EDOOFUS has "raised eyebrows" at
         the corporation, and they've refused to accept the merge
         into Darwin ("a little more in-your-face than ...
         'die_you_gravy_sucking_pigdog()'", apparently). Among the
         suggested replacements in the subsequent bikeshed discussion
         was EBUTTHEAD, and a note that in an old Apple II
         incarnation, STUPID stood for "Student Programmer ID". They
         settled on EDONTPANIC. At least, until the Estate of Douglas
         Adams puts up a fight.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=86207+0+current/freebsd-hackers
                   - CORPORATE CENSORSHIP! Put EDOOFUS on bittorrent!
         http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-hackers.html
                                            - and other Apple titbits

<end quote>

I have to say, I think the thread as a whole worked out - the change was
made, no bikeshed materialised. I think that's a real shame. I enjoy
-hackers and -chat getting a regular mailbombing by people who should know
better. (note the tongue firmly placed in side of my cheek...)

I suggest that to get this thread really going, we now talk about Douglas
Adams' estate challenging the errno value (see above), why having a daemon
for a logo offends the church (see -chat since time began), who the hell
does Theo think he is (wrong project...) and how the USofA is a jolly nasty
place for bullying lots of people into the neo-conservative nightmare (wrong
century?) and to get things motoring nicely, I shall begin by asking WHY
ISN'T CORE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF THIS ???!?!?!?

I'm joking... of course...

BEEP BEEP This thread has moved to -chat BEEP BEEP This thread has moved to
-chat

--
Paul Robinson