Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:36:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Vaibhave Agarwal <vaibhave@cs.utah.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   configure Intel 82559 Ethernet card for "Early Interrupts"

hi all

I am trying to configure Intel 82559 10/100 Mbps Ethernet card to generate
"Early Interrupts", so that I can receive interrupts from the driver, long
before the whole packet is transferred to the host memory.

I have set the Early Receive Interrupt field in the CSR register of the
card. But still I am not getting these interrupts.

The reason I found out was that the card generates interrupt if the
ethernet header's type/length field is set to 0-1500 value i.e. set
to length of  the packet. But if it is set to Type field ( 0x800 for ip
packet) then  according to the Intel's manual , the interrupt is generated
only if "the  device is configured to generate early interrupts on IP
frames"

Do anybody know how can I configure the device to generate early
interrupts  for IP frames OR any other way to get around with this
problem??

thanks
vaibhave