Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:26:10 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Mrad James Deane <xtremejames183@msn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

Mrad James Deane wrote:

> Hi,i have follow the freebsd handbook on how to compile a kernel but i
> have a problem :
> when compile : i have the following message :
> make:don't know how to make buildkernel.Stop
> i'm using freebsd 5.2.1 release and i have removed NoAtm=true on
> make.conf
> Plz help,
> Thanks

You are using the wrong procedure, buildkernel is used only when
building world (nevermind, I looked at the handbook, this is the "new
way"), I personally do it the "old way" and its never failed me:

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config MYKERNEL
cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend && make && make install

It's only one more line then the new way, in fact I could do it all on
one line if I wanted:
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && config MYKERNEL && cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
&& make depend && make && make install

You can do the same thing with the "new way" too:
cd /usr/src && make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL && make installkernel
KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

if you set KERNCONF in /etc/make.conf you could leave that out, then you
would have this:
cd /usr/src && make buildkernel && make installkernel

If your wondering what "&&" does, it means do this and then do that but
only if the first command worked (has an exit status of zero, aka true).
The opposite would be "||", what that means is do this if the first
command failed (has an exit status of non-zero, aka false).

What Hexren said "you need to cd into /usr/src" is most likey true.