Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:05:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        gonzo@pbxpress.com
Cc:        jmallet@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org, freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIPS32 support

In message: <44A54061.8090102@pbxpress.com>
            Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@pbxpress.com> writes:
:      Hello people. For last few weekends I've been tweaking code of latest
: freebsd-mips snapshot, provided by Juli, intending to run it on MIPS32
: evaluation board I'd got. On the moment I have some low-level stuff
: ported: TLB handling, traps handling, interrupt handling. Kernel boots
: and runs on a board(well, till a certain moment of course, there is no
: PCI bus support yet).  Not many changes to original code, but it took a
: while to look through architecture specs. Now, when I know where to go
: further with porting, I'd like to put my changes together, clean them
: out and keep in sync with main development branch. The latest available
: sources are more then one year old. Was there any progress since then? Also
: there is a question of keeping mips64/mips32 sources together.  NetBSD
: keeps code for both platforms as one meta-architecture "mips" and manage
: it with #defines from architectures like "evbmips". It's only mips64
: tree in the snapshot so far. So I wander if there is a kind of roadmap
: for freebsd-mips project. Thanks!

The FreeBSD mips project has been an on again off again affair for a
number of years (like 8).

Juli stopped working on the mips64 port last year.  She had made good
progress on this port, but I don't think it ever was a complete port.
Lots of stuff missing, and aimed at the 64-bit server market.  Since
MIPS is basically out of that market, there wasn't much interest in
pursuing this.

At BSDcan, a number of us got together and resolved to resurrect the
FreeBSD/mips port.  We started a private p4 repo directory and made a
little progress before the conference was over.

I'm in the process of moving the work that was done to a public
portion of the p4 server.  I'll post details when the operations are
complete.

The roadmap forward will be in this tree, and we're planning on using
FreeBSD/arm as a model, for the moment.  In FreeBSD/arm, we merge the
src/sys/arch/arm and src/sys/arch/evbarm trees.  There's not a lot of
need to keep them separate.  Until we have a radically different
arm/mips port, I think this is the way to go.

So, if you'd like to get involved and help out on this project, drop
me a note and we'll see about getting p4 access for you.

Warner