Date:      Fri, 4 May 2007 17:13:45 +0100
From:      Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-jobs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Senior Unix/Network Administrator and DBA roles, UK

Codeweavers Ltd  <http://www.codeweavers.net>; is a web development =20
company based in Stoke-on-Trent, UK.

Job description below, also available here: <http://=20
www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/viewjob.html?id=3D412>

We are also recruiting for a DBA role and Unix/FreeBSD skills would =20
be a big advantage there.  This job is listed here: <http://=20
www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/viewjob.html?id=3D411> (not copied in =
below)

Please e-mail enquiries to roland@codeweavers.net and copy =20
ashley.moran@codeweavers.net

*****

Senior Unix/Network Administrator - full time, =A325-35k

We are looking to recruit an experienced (min 3 years) Senior Network =20=

Administrator to work with our existing Network Administrator to =20
maintain and enhance our internal network and hosting environment and =20=

support the development team.

We require someone who is experienced and skilled in as many of our =20
areas of work as possible. Some areas are critical, such as an =20
understanding of Unix-type systems.  Mainly though, we need someone =20
who with a good theoretical understanding of IT who can demonstrate =20
depth of knowledge in key areas with an ability to learn rapidly.

Duties:
=95 Supervise and train our existing network administrator
=95 Maintain a fast and reliable mixed-client network
=95 Enhance our back-up system and audit emergency procedures
=95 Audit our security and maintain an appropriately tight network
=95 Maintain and improve our e-mail system
=95 Maintain and improve our hosting environment
=95 Assist developers automating deployment tasks
=95 Assist a DBA in scripting and automating data management
=95 Implement a thorough centralised monitoring and logging solution
Technical skills required:
=95 Detailed knowledge of low-level networking issues, such as =20
Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP.  You must be competent at configuring a =20
firewall for security and monitoring (we use OpenBSD's pf)
=95 Experience maintaining and upgrading *nix servers, preferably =20
FreeBSD.  Our most critical non-Windows servers run FreeBSD.
=95 Excellent scripting skills.  We aim to automate everything =20
possible, and have a range of Bourne Shell and Ruby scripts in =20
place.  (You do not necessarily need to know Ruby, but you must be =20
capable of scripting in something similar, such as Perl or Python).
=95 We automate a lot of data tasks, and while we are hiring a DBA to =20=

take responsibility for this, you will be expected to work together =20
to ensure robust solutions.
=95 Assisting the development team in automating application =20
deployment. You will not take full responsibility for this but an =20
eagerness to help is important.
=95 Understanding of web hosting and co-location.  We rely on Apache to =20=

front our live environment and it is critical that it runs continuously.
=95 Understanding of ActiveDirectory domains and Small Business =20
Server / Exchange

Personal skills required:
=95 Quick and enthusiastic learner.  We have a wide range of =20
technologies in place already and we need someone who is eager to =20
learn them all.
=95 Good communication skills.  Everything you do must be clearly =20
documented in the company wiki, and you will have to train our =20
current administrator on any enhancements or new systems =20
implemented.  We need someone who is approachable and eager to share =20
their knowledge.
=95 Forward-thinking.  We need someone who can identify weaknesses in =20=

our infrastructure, recommend and implement appropriate solutions =20
before they cause issues.
=95 Confident.  We need someone who is prepared to make significant =20
changes if they are necessary, and have the technical skill to see =20
them through.
=95 Understanding of the needs of others.  You must work with the rest =20=

of the team to ensure that changes to the network don't prevent =20
anyone from working.
=95 High standards.  We want someone who is proud to see a fast, =20
stable, secure network.

Technologies we use:
=95 OpenBSD/pf (firewalls)
=95 FreeBSD (development and hosting servers)
=95 Gentoo (file servers)
=95 Mac OS X
=95 Windows Small Business Server 2000 / Exchange / ActiveDirectory
=95 Windows 2000 / XP
=95 Apache (2.2)
=95 IIS
=95 mongrel