Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:36:11 +0100
From:      "Walter Jansen" <walter.jansen@inter.nl.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   redundancy in domain or hostname ?

The router connected to my server reports DNS inquiries like
"myserver.example.com.example.com" which obviously leads nowhere

=20

The server is in a SOHO situation connected to a router which is =
connected
to DSL; the server runs 6.3 Release and will serve as mailserver for the =
few
in-house employees  and as a webserver. The domain "example.com" is
registered with Dyndns.org who also run the "Custom DNS service".  The =
DNS
entries were checked with Dyndns.org staff and found in accordance with =
the
purpose. =20

During installation  of the server, the hostname "myserver.example.com" =
and
the domain name "example.com" were entered in the appropiate Sysinstall
dialog

.=20

/etc/hosts shows:

=20

::1                     localhost.example.com localhost

127.0.0.1               localhost.example.com localhost

192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com myserver

192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com.

=20

192.168.1.13 is allocated to the server by the DHCP of the router; this =
IP
address is fixed though!!

=20

=20

Table /etc/resolv.com reads:

=20

domain  example.com

nameserver      192.168.1.1  (my router's IP address

=20

=20

I postponed installation of Postfix and Apache as I feel that host- and
domainname should be configured correctly to prevent accumulating =
trouble.

=20

Remarks a most appreciated.

=20