Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:22:13 -0500
From:      "Matt Turner" <mattst88@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for Alpha-interested users and developers

Hi,

Though I don't know the history and the reasons, I'm sad to see
FreeBSD dropping Alpha support.

What I do know is that there is still Alpha hardware in use. Alpha
fans are still working in places to fix bugs and bring new software to
the platform.

Recently, I've been trying to build the Alpha/Linux community once
again. One way that I've done this was to import Alpha hardware from
Japan to distribute to interested users in North America and Europe.
Another way is by encouraging people to join the #alpha IRC channel on
Freenode. Finally, I've set up a Wiki at AlphaLinux.Org [1] that is
always in need of more content.

I wrote a couple of articles [2] describing some of the problems we're
facing with Alpha, some specific to Linux.

I hope this email reaches some people who are still interested in
Alpha and would like to see theirs live on.

So, in short:
    1) Join the IRC channel
    2) Contribute whatever you can to the Wiki (specifically pictures
of Alpha systems and motherboards [3])
    3) Take a look at some of the problems in front of us and help
find a solution

This isn't meant as an advertisement for Linux, but a sincere plea for
help and support from fellow open source developers and Alpha fans.

Thanks,

Matt Turner

[1] http://alphalinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
[2] Status of X11 on Alpha - http://mattst88.com/blog/?dd=12&mm=12&yyyy=2008
     The State of Alpha Linux - http://mattst88.com/blog/?dd=14&mm=12&yyyy=2008
[3] Looking for pictures of motherboards
     http://www.redhat.com/archives/axp-list/2009-January/msg00000.html