Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:53:12 +0100
From:      Carsten Otto <otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   permissions vs. intermediate mirrors

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS

Dear all,

I am an administrator of ftp1.de.freebsd.org which gets is data from
ftp-master.eu.freebsd.org. This mirror in turn directly gets its data
=66rom ftp-master.freebsd.org.

It seems sometimes there are files on ftp-master.freebsd.org that should
not be readable by the public. I guess these files should be distributed
to some mirrors first, before the access bits are flipped.

However, these files are also not readable when trying to get them from
secondary mirrors like ftp-master.eu. As a consequence my mirror
experiences permission errors.

Is this intended? I guess not.

Please ensure that intermediate mirrors like ftp-master.eu provide a way
to make these files available using rsync. If you do not want to do
this, please refrain from "publishing" unreadlable files.

I already spoke with the administrator of ftp-master.eu.freebsd.org who
does not understand the problem fully and does not want to interfere
with the access bits. This is why I ask for a "global" solution.

Thanks,
--=20
Carsten Otto           otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/
RWTH Aachen            phone: +49 241 80-21211

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS--