Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:20:36 -0600
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        lnrt <lnrt80@openmailbox.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Full disk encryption on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE?

On 11/22/2014 05:44 PM, lnrt wrote:
<snip>
> This result in the following error when booting the system:
>
> config: not a directory.
> loader: not a directory.
> gptboot: No /boot/loader on 0:ad(0p2)
> kernel: not a directory.
> gptboot: No /boot/kernel/kernel on 0:ad(0p2)
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: 0:ad(0p2)/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on why the second method won't work?

All the boot files end up in /boot, which is on a separate filesystem.
>From the point of view of the boot process, the files are no longer
/boot/loader and such, but instead just /loader. I have found no easy
way to change this in the code itself, so I work around it with a symlink.

With the boot filesystem mounted on /boot:
----8<----
mv /boot/boot /boot/boot.blk
ln -s . /boot/boot

Now gptboot(8) will look for /boot/loader, dereference the symlink, and
load /loader instead, and everything will work. Same with loader(8)
looking for its files and kernel.

Just remember you did this during upgrades, because installworld will
fail in weird ways with that symlink there.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://www.fur.com/peace/