Date:      Sat, 9 May 2015 21:16:57 -0300
From:      Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Schouten <mark@tuxis.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frequent hickups on the networking layer

Mark, did switching to a MTU of 1500 ever help?

I'm currently reliving a problem with this - I'm down to a MTU of 4000, but
I still see jumbo pages being allocated - I believe it's my iSCSI setup
(using 4k block size, which means the packet is bigger than 4k), but I'm
not sure where it's all coming from yet.

I'm on 10.1 RELEASE fyi.

I'm going to patch my network devs to not use MJUM9BYTES and see if that
has an effect.

For me, the problem all started again once I really started putting storage
load on the FreeBSD machines. At times, I'm seeing 7 Gbits on the 10 Gbit
adapters.

Oh, and there are gremlins in the new ctld / iscsi as well. I'll get into
that later, but if a heavily loaded iscsi target goes down, when it
reboots, the reconnect storm from all the iscsi machines kernel panics the
FreeBSD iscsi target host.  My machine looped through three
boot-start-panic loops before I caught it and put it into single-user mode.
Starting ctld manually seems to make everything okay.