Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:58:28 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        Miguel C <miguelmclara@gmail.com>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade "upgrade only; do not reinstall"

--GoukfNfPWk8AFNADeJHVGjOINlG6a8rco

I actually just started working on a repository building suite, project n=
ame Remix. Remix builds only those packages/ports that have custom ports =
options not found in any packages in any specified fallback repository, a=
nd fetches/installs other packages (with compatible ports options) from s=
pecified repositories (usually FreeBSD official repo). The main idea behi=
nd Remix is that it saves A LOT of time when building a repository, since=
 only packages with ports options not available in any repositories are b=
uilt from source.

This is different from Poudriere, since Poudriere builds every (updated) =
package from ports.

That being said, it will take quite some time to get Remix production rea=
dy. This is because:
1) I use the project to _learn_ efficient and correct shell programming. =
My shell programming skills are still far, far from the legendary level I=
 personally want them to be. Need extra time to learn what patterns are g=
ood, bad and ugly. I don't use any FreeBSD shell scripts as a reference, =
so that I can learn from mistakes by having to do everything myself. Thus=
, the actual programming will take a lot of time, since I will keep exper=
imenting on spesific implementations of specific patterns ... but when a =
spesific part is functional, it will be so perfect, clean and nice that i=
t not need be even documented (right away), the code will be like self-ex=
planatory poetry.
2) I am a perfectionist. This feature comes with my manic depressive diso=
rder.
3) I am very lazy, I only work on it when I feel like it

This means I am most likely going to rewrite the project from scratch mul=
tiple times before I publish anything.

But yeah, the idea of having a repository builder that would mix packages=
 from repositories and ports is valid. If somebody would implement such a=
 tool before me, OR if such could be implemented as a feature in Poudrier=
e I would be very happy.