Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2016 12:23:59 +0000
From:      Natasha Kerensikova <natbsd@instinctive.eu>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to have accelerated graphics with Intel Celeron J1800 (Bay Trail) ?

Hello,

I recently bought a fanless PC based on Intel Celeron J1800 and its
embedded graphics, and now I'm asking the stupid question of how to
make graphics acceleration work.

As far as I can tell, this chip belongs to the microarchitecture
codenamed "Bay Trail", which sits between "Ivy Bridge" and "Haswell".
That's circa 2013.

According to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics "Ivy Bridge" is already
well supported, while "Haswell" should be in 11.0, so I was reasonably
hopeful to see my "Bay Trail" work.

Going with a 10.3-RELEASE, I `pkg install`ed minimal graphics stuff,
including xf86-video-intel, but it didn't found any screen.
xf86-video-vesa does work fine but without acceleration.

So I assumed that "Ivy Bridge" was the last supported microarchitecture,
and that my "Bay Trail" was too recent for the driver.

So I took the 11.0-BETA1 recently released, and did the same thing (I
was a bit surprised to find a pkg repository, but I won't complain), but
I was to see the same results. Even xf86-driver-scfb cannot find a
screen.

So my question is, what can I do now? Is my hardware definitely
unsupported? Is there something special to do to enable the new i915?

If you have the patience to cut-and-paste or link to instruction for
scfb, I would welcome it was well, but I admit not having done much
research (I don't even know whether `kern.vty` at "vt" means it should
work or it shouldn't) so I would understand if you let me search more on
it before helping in that direction.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Natasha