Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:07:59 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   AWS CloudWatch Logs Agent

First of all: thank you Colin, and thank you all, for making FreeBSD =
available in AWS and the other clouds. This is my first email here, so =
let me briefly introduce myself and the context. I am evaluating FreeBSD =
in AWS as a replacement for our existing (small) AWS fleet of CentOS 7 =
and Amazon Linux machines that serve my company (Project Botticelli Ltd) =
online training business, which focuses on analytics and what is now =
called data science (my main profession) but used to be called data =
mining and just plain-old statistics.

Colin Percival has already been very helpful in giving me some guidance =
with regards to his configinit scripts, which I am happy to say are =
working well and making machine launch and teardown easy. While my three =
devs have been working hard on the new web front and back ends, and our =
app API, all of which we hope to ship in a month, it is down to me to =
focus on the sysadmin part of moving the server infrastructure to =
FreeBSD. So far, working with FreeBSD has been a pleasure and a =
wonderful connection to my old Unix-days' roots.

One nice AWS component is its CloudWatch Logs engine that collects =
streams of syslog-generated data and centralises them, with a simple but =
usable UI. AWS provides an automated set-up for the awslogs daemon =
agent, but from a cursory look at the code, although parts of it are =
plain Python, much of it is very Linux-focused shell script, with much =
regard for runlevels, logrotate etc and not immediately usable as an =
rc.d script.

I was wondering if anyone has hacked that script yet to run on FreeBSD =
or if you have any other suggestions how to help me get AWS CloudWatch =
Logs integrated into FreeBSD running on AWS.

Many thanks for your help and my best regards from Ireland

PS. I have posted a request on the forum for opinions regarding FreeBSD =
in the cloud, in case anyone is interested: =
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/62190/
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist and Director=20