Date:      Sun, 27 May 2018 14:49:12 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: desirable graphics card for testing drm-next-kmod wayland/weston

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM, Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'd like to play with drm-stable-kmod/drm-next-kmod wayland/weston
> and report results to community and maybe dig into the code.
> Which *AMD Radeon* *PCIe* graphics card would you recommend to buy?
> The reason I'm asking here is because information regarding support
> of AMD Radeon cards here:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
> is seems to be related to only "old" drm2 drivers. Or I just don't
> understand all this mess with multiple "drm"s ...
> Where can I find information about which AMD Radeon card model is the
> latest supported by the drm-stable-kmod ?
> Note that I would like to get more or less working box, not just
> kernel panic...

Hi!

Polaris (RX 4xx/5xx) is the latest supported card by drm-stable (4.9
currently).

Keep in mind that if you use UEFI boot, you need to disable the EFI
framebuffer currently:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/issues/170

As for Weston, you might want to check out my fork
https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston I'm currently using it as my daily
desktop as well as for developing Rust bindings
https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston-rs