Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2019 07:36:31 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org>, "manu@freebsd.org" <manu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?=2Epkgnew_even_if_files_didn=E2=80=99t_previously_exist?=

Hi everyone,

Recently the default behaviour of pkg (or pkgbase?) was changed to install
any new files with a .pkgnew suffix.

My understand is that this was introduced to ensure pkg does not overwrite
any existing files that were not previously managed by pkg.

However, the current behaviour is that even if there was no existing file,
new files are still only being installed with the .pkgnew suffix. As the
sysadmin I then have to go looking for any .pkgnew files and remove the
suffix - this would be good to avoid overwriting existing files, but feels
over the top where no such file exists. To me, this feels like the
incorrect behaviour.

Can I please ask - is this a deliberate functionality, and if so, why?

Thanks.
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com